One of the biggest barriers for homeowners and property developers who want to expand their premises is the idea of planning permission. Filling in paperwork and meeting specific criteria can be a daunting prospect, but this might not even be necessary for a simple loft conversion. In fact, the majority of loft conversion projects are covered under permitted development. So, does your loft conversion need planning permission? Or is the development covered by permitted development? Well, here at Pinnacle Loft Conversions, we are Preston’s leading loft conversion professionals. And this is our guide to everything you should know about loft conversions and planning permission.
What is permitted development?
So, first of all, what is permitted development? Well, permitted development gives property owners the freedom to develop homes without much interference from regulations and the council. However, there are specific criteria that must be met for Permitted Development to apply.
Permitted development criteria
The criteria for permitted development includes:
- Converted loft space must be 40 cubic meters or less in a terraced house. 50 cubic meters or less in a detached or semi-detached house
- The extension must not reach beyond the existing roof slope at the front of the house, or overhang the wall of the house
- The extension must not increase the roof height
- The extension plan must not include verandas, balconies or anything of this nature
- Side-facing window openings must be at least 1.7m above the floor, and these windows must be obscured too
- All materials used must be the same or similar to what’s already used on the outside of the property
Does your loft conversion need planning permission?
So, does your loft conversion need planning permission? Well, unless your loft conversion will exceed any of the above limits, planning permission will not be necessary. However, some types of loft conversion will sometimes need planning permission. These include:
- Mansard loft conversions
- Hip to gable loft conversions
For professional information and advice, get in touch with the team today, here at Pinnacle Loft Conversions.